Saturday, March 22, 2014

Self-drafted bodice dress

So I have been really enjoying Dolly Clackett's blog - her dresses are always made of gorgeous fabric, with a fitted bodice and full skirt.  I wanted one too!
First I made myself and Elisalex bodice to see if it would fit - and - it didn't.  Not at all!  The shoulders fell off, the bust was baggy, it was AWFUL.  So I drafted a bodice for myself using a book I had.  The book is from the 60s and has errors in it!  Annoying!
I traced the neckline of the Elisalex dress and combined it with my own bodice block.  It still didn't turn out that well!  I feel as though it's baggy in some places and tight in others and I'm not sure what to do next.  The skirt is just a box-pleated rectangle, and I edged it with some broderie anglaise.
This dress does look ok with a petticoat, cardigan, and heels.
I also put in a waistband, which may have been my main mistake.  It looks like it made the bodice too long for my body.
It does have one pocket!  Just one.  WHY.
Bias binding armholes - yes this is an armhole not some random body part.
My "invisible" zip - gosh I suck at them.
Ummm thanks for looking?  It's a weird dress and I'm not sure whether I'll wear it.  Failure is the first step on the road to success, or something.
I'm going to enter this dress in the Sew Dolly Clackett competition but I have very very low hopes for winning!  But as they say, you've got to be in it to win it.

2 comments:

  1. I think your first attempt at drafting is great. You have got to start somewhere and it is just fabric. I love the trim -- very cute.

    Annie
    http://enantiomerproject.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It actually looks great in the photos! Patterned fabric hides a multitude of sins. Well done with the drafting! I'm sure tweaking the pattern won't take too much time next time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you ask a question, I will answer in a comment so check back here!