Saturday, September 28, 2013

Completed: Colette Hawthorn

Breaking news: Christina has sewn a garment that is not only pretty, but also fits comfortably!
I present the Colette Hawthorn dress, view 3 (sleeveless)!
My fabric is a lightweight seersucker which is a vintage gift from a church friend.  She was getting rid of lots of fabric she hadn't used in 30 years.  I only had about 2 metres!
I was so careful making this, since my last attempt at making a dress was a total disaster.  I made a toile, pressed after every step, and even made a copy of the pattern so I didn't cut into the precious tissue.  I laundered my fabric first:
I was so careful doing all the marking.  The only issue I had was that this fabric pattern does have a right way up, and I didn't have enough fabric to cut it all out the right way.  I had to cut the back skirt pieces upside-down, but you totally can't notice unless you scrutinise the thing, and you'd have to look at my butt to do that.  So my issue isn't an issue at all!
My toile worked out pretty well, a shame it was a) covered in paint, and b) completely see-through.  It had a pretty pink floral pattern, very subtle.
 I was so frightened of doing the buttonholes, as I have never done them on my machine before.  They turned out pretty well!  I didn't get them quite in the same place as on the pattern, but it was pretty darn close!  I spent a long time making sure I was putting the buttons in the right place too.
 Looks cute with a belt.  I'm thinking of making a waist tie with the remaining fabric (which is scraps, I'd have to sew a lot of them together).
 All these photos are with a very small petticoat which has lost most of its poof.
 My only complaint about the pattern is that the armholes are way small.  I made a size 0 with no alterations and I have very slim arms.  Not slim enough!  They're not uncomfortably tight, but I could use a slightly looser armhole so that I can, you know, reach for stuff.
The collar was kind of difficult - not the collar itself but the facing and all that bulk at the shoulder seams.  I just pressed the heck out of it to make it sit flat, but I can still feel the bulk.
 My bias binding on the armholes is a cute striped one my mother in law gave me.  I love the subtle contrast!
As you can see it hangs pretty well!
So I'm thrilled with this dress.  It's actually my first dress to work really well.  I've made other dresses but they've all sucked in one way or another.  I can't wait to try view B (elbow length sleeves) as well!

4 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! You should be very proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be thrilled, it looks great! Perfect fit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veronica! I owe a lot of my sewing successes to you, you always inspire me! I'm going to wear this for Frocktober on the 26th for a party :-)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! If you ask a question, I will answer in a comment so check back here!